Friday, April 2, 2010

Uncle Jack

My husband has done my aunt and uncle's taxes for several years. Ever since their house fell into the river. When he heard about the tragedy, my DH kept saying, "tell them to make sure they get the tax benefits from that." They finally asked what he was talking about. Their tax preparation firm didn't know what to do for them, so DH finally just did their taxes for them, getting them substantial benefit from the loss of their house. DH has done their taxes ever since then.

Uncle Jack was extra generous this year. He paid about twice the amount DH normally charges them (to help us out because DH lost his job), and then invited DH and I to lunch. We went to a nice seafood restaraunt and had fresh halibut. We had a lovely visit.

I bring this up because Uncle Jack once told me his motto for life, which he lives so well.

Be Frugal
Work Hard
Be Generous

I hope I can learn to follow this motto as well as Uncle Jack has.
Vicki

5 comments:

  1. Well, I love what I've read thus far, starting at top and working my way to the bottom. I do hope you'll keep this writing venture up, I think you definitely have something to say that is worth reading!

    Egads! This silly thing is giving me grief over my xanga idea...Will it let me use my google? Or blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely motto and one that we all should follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging, Vicki! This looks like a great subject area for you. I consider you quite the expert in this sort of thing. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone. Terri, I am no expert, but it seems like Blogger is using Google id now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your posts to the group and look forward to reading more of your frugal ideas and how well it all works here. And Uncle Jack is a smart man! He sounds a little like my late husband as he lived his life pretty much in that way. He also never borrowed money, always paid cash, even for new cars. And that doesn't mean he was a millionaire. Far from it. But he lived frugally and saved a lot.

    ReplyDelete